|Cauliflower Pizza Crust!|
Cut the gluten (and thereby carbs) and inject an incredible amount of calcium and protein. I want to be clear, this is not "diet food". This is mouth-watering, dynamite, and is a crowd pleaser regardless of whether you need/want a gluten-free meal. In fact, I actually do eat gluten and don't consider this to be a "substitute" but rather a unique recipe. It is just awesome and quite frankly, way easier than making pizza dough.
|Finished Pizza! Delicious!|
***These proportions make 1 pizza
Cauliflower, fresh (1 cup)
2% Mozzarella (1 cup)
Egg (1) or Egg Substitute (1/4 cup)
Italian Seasoning (or just basil and oregano...)
(2) In a large bowl, mix cauliflower with mozzarella. Add egg or egg sub. and mix until a moist and thick mixture.
|cauliflower, cheese & egg|
(3) Spray a pizza pan (or baking sheet if you don't have one) with cooking spray. Or, cook on top of parchment paper so the pizza doesn't stick. DO NOT forget this step!!!!
|spoon crust onto greesed pan|
|sprinkle with seasoning|
(4) Spoon "cauli-rella" mixture onto pan and spread evenly throughout. Try to keep the crust under 1/2''. The more thin you can spread the mixture the crispier the pizza will be.
(5) Sprinkle fennel, garlic and italian seasoning all over crust
(6) Bake at 425F for 15-20 minutes.
(7) When the pizza appears crispy and starts to slightly lift off of pan, take out of oven and let sit for ten minutes. This is very difficult to burn, but easy to under cook, so when in doubt, keep it in a little longer.
(8) Add sauce, toppings and cheese to suit your crowd. See suggestions below!
|add sauce, cheese & toppings|
(9) Bake at 400F until toppings are warm and cheese is melted.
(10) Slice and enjoy!*
* If you put a lot of sauce or a lot of toppings (like I do) then you may have to utilize a fork for consumption.
I like red sauce and mozzarella with vegetarian toppings such as peppers, olives, sweet onions, mushrooms, artichokes, tomato, spinach and any other plant you can think of, and of course, fresh basil.
Pesto sauce (homemade & low-cal is best...) with kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, sweet onions, mushrooms and artichokes. I like this with some mozzarella and then after the final cooking.. sprinkle on some reduced-fat feta cheese crumbles.
Add Turkey Pepperoni to any pizza for extra protein and minimal extra calories & fat.
Perfect yet simple: sprinkle crust with extra virgin olive oil before you add sauce and then top with fresh basil, crushed garlic, thinly sliced tomatoes and mozzarella and then sprinkle with parmesan after final baking.
*These are approximate/average for the Victory Garden and Mediterranean*