|BBQ Turkey Sandwich & Coleslaw: under 300 calorie meal!!!! YUM!|
The best thing about slow cooker recipes is that they make your house smell amazing. The second best thing is how completely mindless they are to make! What makes this recipe different from your typical throw in the pot and leave for five hours recipe is the tangy and sweetness of this BBQ recipe is NOT accompanied by additives or excessive sugar. It also is loaded with vegetables that have added vitamins and anti-oxitants and pretty darn low in fat for a BBQ sandwich!
It's great served on a whole wheat sandwich topped with cheese (as shown) and served with coleslaw. A lower carb option is to add it to a salad, bake it inside a bell pepper as a filling or throw it inside a whole-wheat low carb wrap with lettuce and other veggies. Because this serves 14... it is also a great candidate to freeze and warm up on a lazy day. Can you tell I am love with the versatility of this dish!!!?
Turkey Breast (2 lbs)
Sweet Onion, chopped (3/4 to 1 cup)
Zucchini, chopped (1 large)
Mushrooms, sliced (2 cups)
Celery, chopped (4 to 5 large stalks)
Water (1 cup)
Water (1 cup)
Reduced Sugar Ketchup (1 cup)
Sugar Free Maple Syrup (1/2 cup)
Apple Cider Vinegar (1/2 cup)
Red Wine, any kind (1/4 cup)
Yellow Mustard (3 tbsp.)
Worcestershire Sauce (2 tbsp.)
Garlic, chopped or powder (1-2 tbsp.)
BBQ Seasoning* (1 tbsp.)
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
Corn Starch (1 tablespoon)
Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
2% Shredded Cheddar Cheese, to top sandwiches (aprox. 1 cup)
* I like McCormick's Smokehouse Maple because I can pronounce all of the ingredients, none of them appear to cause cancer, and it doesn't add calories or fat to the meal.
(1) Chop / slice all vegetables and put in slow cooker
(2) Add turkey breast and all other ingredients EXCEPT corn starch, rolls & cheese
(3) Cook on high for 3-4 hours and check. When turkey is cooked through, take two forks and shred.
(4) Thoroughly stir, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, syrup & BBQ seasoning; cook for another 1 hour or until it thickens to your liking.
(4) Add cornstarch if the mixture is not as thick enough by the time you want to serve. But, if you let it cook long enough it will naturally cook down to the right consistency.
(5) Serve however you like your BBQ! My suggestion is to toast whole wheat dinner rolls, top with BBQ mixture and sprinkle cheese on top. Delicious!
Serving: One BBQ sandwich with cheese